Winter weather is unpredictable and severe storms may cause flooding, mud slides and power outages. It is important to create an emergency plan with the following in mind:
- Stock up on non-perishable food, water and emergency supplies to sustain you and your family for at least 3 days. If you have pets, don’t forget about their needs too!
- Have a supply of sand and sandbags if you live in a flood-prone area
- Know at least two routes out of your neighborhood in the event of road blockage.
- Be aware of how and when to turn off your utilities when necessary.
- Have a battery powered radio and tune in to local stations for information
- Instead of candles, make sure you have plenty of flashlights and spare batteries in case of power outages.
- Keep your cell phone fully charged in the event of power outage.