Backyard Burn Regulations
Burn Hours: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Piles must be completely extinguished by 4:00pm!
Parcel size must be ½ acre or more in the State Responsibility Area (SRA) or Wildland-Urban Interface (WUI) zone to conduct backyard burning.
- ONLY yard trimmings and brush originating on the premises are to be burned.
- ONLY clean, dry wood waste 6 inches in diameter or smaller are permitted for burning.
- A responsible adult must be in attendance at all times and be able to furnish the permit upon Fire District personnel request.
- A water source or approved fire extinguishing equipment must be readily available (fire extinguisher, dirt, sand, garden hose, water barrel etc.).
- Firefighting tools such as a shovel, rake, hoe etc. are also required to be at the burn site.
- Burn pile locations must be a minimum of 50 feet from all structures and property lines and at least 100 feet from structures on adjacent properties.
- Burn piles are not to exceed 4 feet in diameter by 4 feet high.
- Burn piles are to be spaced at least 25 feet apart from one another.
- Clear all flammable material and vegetation within 10 feet of the outer edge of the burn pile down to bare soil.
- No burning shall take place for 72 hours after rainfall totaling 0.25 inches for greater .
- The use of any combustible and/or flammable liquids as starting fuels is absolutely prohibited.
- Always start burn pile ignition from the downwind side. This allows for better control of the fire and helps the material burn thoroughly producing less smoke emissions.
- To prevent excessive smoke emissions, DO NOT burn grass clippings, leaves, conifer needles or stumps.
- Failure to burn within the requirements of law may result in citation and you may be responsible for suppression costs.
- Fire District personnel have the authority to revoke a burn permit at any time for unsafe conditions. Fire District personnel are authorized to immediately cease open burning if they designate the conditions as hazardous or it becomes a public nuisance.
BURNING IS NOT PERMITTED IN WINDY CONDITIONS, OR IN RAIN/HEAVY MIST.
Limit Smoke Emissions. Burn Safe. Burn Smart.